As a business owner, you must understand how to choose a business brand name that matches your services or products. The success of a brand begins with its name, which is one of the most vital components of any business. Besides, a brand name is a crucial identifier that the public recognizes or remembers about your business.
Whether you are looking for a brand name for a new and emerging business or want to rename your brand, you must be very strategic. Try understanding your business to ensure the brand’s name aligns with your product or service. Thankfully, we will show you how to name your brand and become successful.
Features of a Good Brand Name
A good brand name should set your brand apart from other brands and drive your brand’s visual identity. Here are the other features of a good brand name.
- Connects with the target customer
- Embodies the personality of your brand
- Stands out from competitors by being unique
- Easy to remember (memorable)
- Easy to spell or pronounce
By naming your brand strategically, you have a greater chance of your brand name getting approved for trademark. It helps to protect the brand name from infringements.
Types of Popular Brand Names
Brand names can vary depending on a brand’s tone, voice, and personality. As a result, various brand names exist, including the following examples.
- Descriptive: These brand names convey the service or product offered by a company. Examples are Bank of America, Toys R Us, and Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Abstract Names: Such brand names don’t relate to the real product or service offered by a company. Examples include Starbucks, Pandora, and Apple.
- Suggestive: The names comprise fanciful variations of existing words, such as combinations of two different words. Examples are Facebook and LiteBrite.
- Imaginative Names: Get created from non-existing words. In other words, they are entirely new. Examples include Google, Kodak, and Spotify.
Strategies for Choosing a Brand Name
Choosing a brand name can be challenging if you use the wrong strategies. However, the following tips can help you coin a relevant brand name.
Collect terms, words, phrases, and sensations that describe the overall scope of your service, product, and customer experience. After that, you should then:
- Choose 3-5 words that represent the benefits or results of your services to clients
- Select 3-5 words that describe how your product or service differs from others
- Identify features that distinguish your approach, business, expertise, and process
Play with different words, including portmanteaus, alliteration, idioms, and rhyming phrases.
Inspirations from Your Brand Story
You can also play with words inspired by the place your brand originated. It could be the founder’s name or a unique word translation from a language that has meaning to you.
Get Branding Advice for Your Unique Business
Now that you know how to choose a business brand name, you won’t have trouble branding your business. Explore different brand naming strategies to create a brand name that aligns with your products or services. Branding and design experts at Adnorml are ready to help you get started!
Contact us today for professional branding services for big and small businesses.